The Cross-Border Ecommerce Community (CBEC) enables Merchants, Payment Service Providers, ISOs and Acquiring Banks to access valuable content about mature and developing markets that can support strategic decision-making. Read more
Detailed information to be found in the Cross-border Ecommerce Report – Mexico
With growing internet penetration and a market of 8.4 million online shoppers, Mexico is an ecommerce destination fully loaded with potential.
• Total Population
- 123.8 million
• Age Breakdown
- 40.4% of the population in Mexico are between 25 and 54.
- Roman Catholicism dominates Mexico, and has done so for centuries.
• Urban Population
• Internet Penetration
- 59.2 million people
• Mobile Penetration
• Tablet Penetration
• Smartphone Penetration
• Online shoppers
- 15.9 million
• Ecommerce Sales (2015)
- USD 11 billion
• Ecommerce Penetration
• Mobile Commerce
- In 2015, it is expected that Mexico will record a 40% increase in mobile commerce.
- Total value of mobile commerce in Mexico is USD 146.7 million (MXP 2.3 billion).
• Mobile OS platforms
- Android is the most dominant mobile operating system in Mexico at 74%.
Cross-border Ecommerce Opportunities
• Mexican consumers are less frequent users of cross-border ecommerce than consumers Brazil, the Latin American ecommerce leader. Only one third of online consumers have ordered from abroad.
• However, a significant growth of 16.5% is predicted in the Mexican cross-border market in 2015. This is almost 6% over the global average.
• Despite the low penetration of cross-border ecommerce, almost half of online consumers plan to order from overseas in the near future.
• The top destination by far for overseas ecommerce is the US at 87% of purchases. Other popular destinations are China (14.5%) and Hong Kong (8.7%).
• Mexico has a very limited ecommerce export market, but of this small number, the majority of orders go to the US (70%), Canada (5.4%) and Spain (2.1%).
Language as a Key Driver
• Despite the fact that 95% of the 123.8 million population of Mexico speaks Spanish, and the government of Mexico uses Spanish for most official purposes, in terms of legislation its status is not that of an official language.
• There are 4.9 million English speakers in Mexico, 4.5% of the population.
• Mexico shares a border with the US, where there is a growing Spanish speaking population of 38.3 million. This represents 12.8% of the total U.S. population and the largest national Spanish-speaking community outside of Mexico.
Read the complete text (including sources) about mobile commerce, online shopper behavior, ecommerce growth, ecommerce sales, cross-border ecommerce in Mexico in the downloadable country report.
The Paypers. All rights reserved. No part of this site can be reproduced
without explicit permission of The Paypers(V2.3).