The Cross-Border Ecommerce Community (CBEC) enables Merchants, Payment Service Providers, ISOs and Acquiring Banks to access valuable content about mature and developing markets that can support strategic decision-making. Read more
Russian ecommerce is behind other parts of Europe, limited by relatively low levels of internet penetration and a preference for payment in cash. The ecommerce market is now opening up thanks to mobile Internet, however, penetration of which is projected to reach 100 million users by 2017, or 70% of the total population.
• Total Population
- 142.4 million
• Age Breakdown
- 45.8% of the population in Russia are between 25 and 54.
- Orthodox Christianity is Russia's traditional and largest religion.
• Urban Population
• Internet Penetration
- 87.5 million people
- 61.4% penetration
• Mobile Penetration
• Tablet Penetration
- 15% of total mobile internet devices.
- 5.6% of internet users – 4.9 million people – access the web via a tablet.
- Russia is now the world’s third biggest market for tablets after the United States and China.
• Smartphone Penetration
- Penetration of mobile internet via smartphones is projected to explode in the next several years to reach 100 million users by 2017, or 70% of the total population.
• Online Shoppers
- 30 million
• Ecommerce Sales
- USD 16.5 billion (RUB 520 billion)
- One third of this market was from sales of non-physical goods and services. The remaining USD 11.5 billion sales accounted for physical goods.
• Ecommerce Penetration
• Ecommerce CAGR (2012 – 2013)
• Mobile Commerce
- Around one third of mobile internet users in Russia purchase products from online shops via their devices.
Cross-border Ecommerce Opportunities
• In Russia, USD 3 billion was spent on cross-border ecommerce in 2013.
• In terms of volume, cross-border parcel imports have grown from 21.5 million in 2012 to 40.3 million in 2013; 90% growth.
• In 2013, eBay launched a fully localised, Russian-language marketplace with goods from merchants based outside of Russia. In Sept. 2014, Russian merchants began selling via the platform.
• Russian online consumers mostly purchase cross-border from China (65.6%).
Language as a Key Driver
• While there are over 100 minority languages in Russia, Russian is the only official language, spoken by over 80% of population.
• Russian is the sixth widely-spread language in the world. More than 300 million people speak Russian. In the EU, there are nearly 7 million.
• The largest overseas community of Russian speakers is found in the US, estimated at some 3 million people.
Read the complete text (including sources) about mobile commerce, online shopper behavior, ecommerce growth, ecommerce sales, cross-border ecommerce in Russia in the downloadable country report.
The Paypers. All rights reserved. No part of this site can be reproduced
without explicit permission of The Paypers(V2.3).