The Cross-Border Ecommerce Community (CBEC) enables Merchants, Payment Service Providers, ISOs and Acquiring Banks to access valuable content about mature and developing markets that can support strategic decision-making. Read more
Detailed information to be found in the Cross-border Ecommerce Report – Israel
Despite being a technologically advanced country with a focus on innovation and entrepreneurship, Israel has a relatively small ecommerce market. This has led to the trend of many Israeli tech startups being acquired by major US, European and Asian technology investors. Yet, with increasing levels of mobile penetration by an always connected younger generation, the domestic and cross-border ecommerce market shows great growth potential.
• Total Population
- 8.01 million
• Age Breakdown
- 37.8% of the population in Israel are between 25 and 54.
- Israel is a Jewish country, with the majority of inhabitants (75.4%) following Judaism.
• Urban Population
• Internet Penetration
- 5.9 million people
• Mobile Penetration
• Tablet Penetration
• Smartphone Penetration
- 56.6% penetration.
• Online Shoppers
- 3.04 million
• Ecommerce Sales
- USD 2.09 billion (ILS 7.9 billion )
• Ecommerce Penetration
• Ecommerce CAGR
- 24.9% (2009 – 2014)
• Mobile Commerce
- USD 169.5 million (ILS 638.9 million)
• Mobile OS platforms
- Apple’s iOS is the preferred mobile operating system in Israel at 49.3%%, but closely followed by Android at 47.6%.
Cross-border Ecommerce Opportunities
• Israel is among the top five fastest growing cross-border ecommerce export markets in 2014.
• Israeli consumers mostly purchase from online sellers in China and Brazil.
• Israeli businesses mostly export to the US, the UK and China.
Language as a Key Driver
• Israel has two official languages; Hebrew and Arabic.
• For Jewish Israelis, who make up 83% of the country's population, the normal spoken language is Hebrew.
• All Israeli school children learn Hebrew, Arabic and English, and virtually everyone in the country speaks English well.
• According to a 2011 Government Social Survey of Israelis over 20 years of age, 49% report Hebrew as their native language, Arabic 18%, Russian 15%, Yiddish 2%, French 2%, English 2%.
• Hebrew is not widely spoken outside of Israel, but it is spoken by several hundred thousand speakers in the Palestinian territories and foreign Jewish communities around the world.
• Other countries with significant Jewish communities are; the US (5.7 million), France (475.000), Canada (385.300), the UK (290.000), Russia (186,000) and Argentina (181.300).
Read the complete text (including sources) about mobile commerce, online shopper behavior, ecommerce growth, ecommerce sales, cross-border ecommerce in Israel in the downloadable country report.
The Paypers. All rights reserved. No part of this site can be reproduced
without explicit permission of The Paypers(V2.3).