The Cross-Border Ecommerce Community (CBEC) enables Merchants, Payment Service Providers, ISOs and Acquiring Banks to access valuable content about mature and developing markets that can support strategic decision-making. Read more
Detailed information to be found in the Cross-border Ecommerce Report – New Zealand
New Zealand is a leading economy in the Oceania region, with 86% Internet penetration and nearly 2 million online shoppers. The smartphone penetration level is at a significant 60% and almost 30% of all Internet users have purchased through their device.
• Total Population
- 4.4 million
• Age Breakdown
- 40.4% of the population in New Zealand are between 25 and 54.
New Zealand is mostly a Christian country, a religion followed by 44.3% of the population.
• Urban Population
• Internet Penetration
- 3.8 million people
• Mobile Penetration
• Tablet Penetration
• Smartphone Penetration
• Online shoppers
- 1.9 million
• Ecommerce Sales
- NZD 4.2 billion
• Ecommerce Penetration
• Ecommerce CAGR
- 28.8% (2008 – 2013)
• Mobile Commerce
- 51% of smartphone users have used their smartphone to locate stores, 31% to compare prices.
- 8% of New Zealand Internet users aged between 15 and 65 have purchased physical goods online during the last 12 months via a smartphone, whereas 18% have purchased via a tablet.
- Total spend value: NZD 2.8 billion.
• Mobile Operating Systems
- Android is the preferred mobile operating system in New Zealand at 64%.
Cross-border Ecommerce Opportunities
• NZD 1.3 billion is spent by New Zealanders on websites based overseas.
• 34% of the total amount Kiwis spent shopping online in 2014 was spent overseas, an increase from 26% the previous year and double that of 2010.
• The US, Australia and the UK are the most popular destinations for cross-border ecommerce purchases.
• The main export countries for New Zealand businesses are Australia, China, the US, Japan and the UK.
Language as a Key Driver
• English is the main language of New Zealand, spoken by 96% of the population. Maori is spoken by 4%.
• Other major languages include Samoan, Hindi and Mandarin.
Read the complete text (including sources) about mobile commerce, online shopper behavior, ecommerce growth, ecommerce sales, cross-border ecommerce in New Zealand in the downloadable country report.
The Paypers. All rights reserved. No part of this site can be reproduced
without explicit permission of The Paypers(V2.3).