The Cross-Border Ecommerce Community (CBEC) enables Merchants, Payment Service Providers, ISOs and Acquiring Banks to access valuable content about mature and developing markets that can support strategic decision-making. Read more
More to be found in the Cross-border Ecommerce Report – India
Find out more about online payment methods in India and how to increase conversion here.
Domestic and Preferred Card Schemes
• Visa has the lion’s share of the credit card market in India, with 68%.
Alternative Payment Methods
• Debit Card: a type of payment card which is tied to a normal bank account (checking, savings or payroll account). Whenever cardholders pay by using their debit card, their bank account balance gets deducted. If there is an insufficient balance on the cardholder’s account, then the transaction, usually, gets declined.
• E-wallet: service in India is offered by companies such as PayPal, ITZ Card and OxiCash. The service providers also offer money transfer from the consumer’s account to any accredited merchant bank in India. The e-wallet component of their service works the same way as traditional e-wallet service. End-users can reload their e-wallet account via card payment, cash payment or electronic fund transfer from the end-user’s bank account to their e-wallet account. Their e-wallet can then be used to purchase goods or services online or offline.
• Online Banking: a form of payment by which customers are able to make online transactions such as bills payment, fund transfer and other internet banking services via their bank’s online facility.
• Cash-on-Delivery: lets customers pay for their purchases by cash upon delivery.
• OxiCash: a payment platform that enables mobile users in India to use their mobiles as wallets to pay for the services like mobile recharges, DTH TV recharges, electricity bills, movie tickets, rail tickets , air tickets, hotels etc.
• ITZ Card: a simple prepaid mobile recharge voucher that works on the principle of ‘Pay now and Use at your convenience’. It gives the convenience of a reliable payment method that can be carried anywhere without actually carrying any cash.
Read an in-depth overview (including sources) of card schemes, alternative payment methods, online payment methods in India and how to increase conversion by using the payment methods in the downloadable country report.
The Paypers. All rights reserved. No part of this site can be reproduced
without explicit permission of The Paypers(V2.3).