The Cross-Border Ecommerce Community (CBEC) enables Merchants, Payment Service Providers, ISOs and Acquiring Banks to access valuable content about mature and developing markets that can support strategic decision-making. Read more
More to be found in the Cross-border Ecommerce Report - Japan
Find out more about online payment methods in Japan and how to increase conversion.
Domestic and Preferred Card Schemes
The most popular card schemes in Japan are Visa and MasterCard, with 42.3% and 36.6% share, respectively. JCB, Japan’s only international credit card brand, ranks third with 18.8% share.
Alternative Payment Methods
• Bank Transfer: the transfer of funds from one account to another within the same or interbank, as long as supported.
• Cash on Delivery: the sale of goods by mail order where payment is made on delivery rather than in advance.
• Mobile Suica: mobile payment system for use in Japan's major cities and towns.
• PayPal: online payments and money transfer service that allows you to send money via email, phone, text message or Skype. Founded in 1998, PayPal offers products to both individuals and businesses alike, including online vendors, auction sites and corporate users.
• Pay-easy: payment solutions for the purchase of digital content over the web. The PayEasy system interfaces with digital content providers, billing agents, online payment providers, and consumers to streamline the business of online content delivery such as music, software products, games, articles, icons, pictures or titles.
• Yahoo! Easy Payment: online payment service mainly used on Yahoo! Japan Auction.
Read an in-depth overview (including sources) of card schemes, alternative payment methods, online payment methods in Japan and how to increase conversion by using the payment methods in the downloadable country report.
The Paypers. All rights reserved. No part of this site can be reproduced
without explicit permission of The Paypers(V2.3).